Several local, young entrepreneurs have embarked on a journey of launching and operating their own small business through a program called Summer Company run through the Small Business Enterprise Centre in Brockville.
4 Life Fitness: https://www.4lifefitness.ca/speed-clinic-info
MCouture Photography: https://www.facebook.com/MCouturePhotography/
Swish Summer Basketbal Camp: https://www.facebook.com/Swish-Summer-Basketball-Camp-157452878432442/
Dove Designs Wood Creations: https://www.facebook.com/dovedesignscwc/
Perfectly Picked: https://www.facebook.com/perfectlypicked.md/
Blank Canvas Art: https://www.facebook.com/BlankCanvasBySelina/
Project Plague https://www.facebook.com/Project-Plague-1127601847377951/
How it works
Through a program called Summer Company, you can get two things:
- start-up money to kick-off a new summer business
- advice and mentorship from local business leaders to help get the business up and running
Learning how to run your own student business is one of the best summer jobs you can have. You get to be your own boss while learning what it takes to manage a business. Sales, marketing, invoicing, bookkeeping, customer relationship, management — these are just a few of the highly useful skills you will develop.
Who is eligible
You could be eligible, if you:
- go to high school, college or university
- live in Ontario
- are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
- are between 15-29 years old (if under 18: a parent needs to sign the application)
- are not already running a business
- are not working at another job or going to school for more than 12 hours a week during the program
- are returning to school after the program ends
You cannot apply again, if you have received a Summer Company grant in the past.
If you are on social assistance (Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support Program) you can still apply to Summer Company. Payments from the program may be exempt as income and assets under social assistance, so your monthly social assistance payment may not be affected.
Maximum grant: $3,000
Successful Summer Company applicants get:
- up to $1,500 up front to help with start-up costs
- up to $1,500 when you successfully complete the program requirements
When money flows
It takes a minimum of 15 business days to process your first payment after we approve your application and you meet all the requirements.
Dates and hours
Start date: usually June or July.
End date: Labour Day (but you can choose to keep running your summer business while in school).
You must be prepared to commit:
- an average of 35 hours per week
- a minimum of 8 weeks in a row for high school students
- a minimum of 12 weeks in a row for post-secondary students
What kind of business
You can choose to start almost any type of business, as long as it:
- is a sole proprietorship or corporation (where you are the majority shareholder)
- is an independent business venture (not a part of an existing or family business)
- qualifies as “self-employed” for income tax purposes
- operates in Ontario on a full-time basis
- follows government rules for operating a business
For more information contact Wendy Onstein ( 613.342.8772 ext. 4470 email@example.com) or Jeanette Johnston (613.342.8772 ext. 4471 firstname.lastname@example.org)